domenica 5 febbraio 2012

Sit right here! is a new game

We hear all the time, -œIt’s the little things that really matter.- Recently I was reminded of how true this is.
Bella is my eighteen-month-old granddaughter who is beginning to learn how to talk. This week she put together her first sentence. The process of a child learning to speak has always fascinated and amazed parents and grandparents. I’m sure it’s a real relief for the child too when someone actually gets what all their babbling means!

It happened to Bella and I while we were rocking and singing songs. She suddenly jumped off my lap, went to another chair in the family room and patted the chair and said, -œSit right here!-
I couldn’t believe what I heard and simply stared in awe. So, she repeat it again, -œSit right here!- I got up and sat in the chair she was pointing to. Bella’s eyes immediately lit up and a big smile appeared on her face. She was communicating and someone actually understood what she was saying!
She got into the feeling of authority quickly and the orders didn’t stop, -œSit right here!- -œSit right here!- -œSit right here!- Over and over, I would sit where she wanted and each time, her eyes would light up and her smile clearly conveyed the feeling of accomplishment.
As I write this story, I am reminded of how speaking requires not only a speaker but a listener. I am so happy I was able to hear what Bella had to say. How many times in the past have people tried to communicate with me and I never heard what was said? Maybe that’s one of the benefits of being a grandparent, maybe we finally take the time to -œGet it!-
Don Schmitz is a popular speaker and writer on parenting and grandparenting. He is the author of The New Face of Grandparenting -¦Why Parents Need Their Own Parents and founder of Grandkidsandme, which includes: Grandparent Camps and Grandkid Days. Don holds graduate degrees in Education, Administration, Human Development and father to three sons and seven grandchildren. Contact Don Don@grandkidsandme.com.

Related Articles –

Email this Article to a Friend!
Receive Articles like this one direct to your email box!Subscribe for free today!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento